[mythtv-users] DTS-HD

Taylor Ralph taylor.ralph at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 16:41:26 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Taylor Ralph <taylor.ralph at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 12:06 AM, John Baab <rhpot1991 at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> Is anyone successfully playing any videos with DTS-HD in .22?  If I
>> downmix to 2 channel I get sound, but I'd really like to use my
>> surround sound.  When using passthrough I don't get any sound on these
>> videos.
>
> You should be able to use passthru with DTS-HD tracks. The receiver
> will ignore the DTS-HD portion and play the DTS core. However, you'll
> need the following patch applied to 0.22-fixes:
>
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/attachment/ticket/7409/t7409_mythtv_dts_skip_dts_hd_v3.diff
>
> It has already been applied to trunk.
>
> Give it a shot and let us know.

To clarify we filter the DTS core out using libavcodec not using your
receiver. At this time bit streaming DTS-HD using libav isn't possible
anyways. The bug in mythtv was that it tried to decode the DTS-HD
extensions which it doesn't support causing "bad" things to happen. So
yes you should be able to play a DTS-HD track in mythtv and it
passthru the DTS core to your reciever via SPDIF.

--
Taylor