[mythtv-users] Splitting digital audio from hdmi?

Frank Merrill fmerrill1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 03:50:45 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just curious really - if I have a box like a revo with hdmi with audio
> out no spdif out, is it possible to somehow feed the digital audio
> into an amp that has only spdif inputs (ie the amp itself only has rca
> and optical spdif inputs, not hdmi).
>
> computer<--hdmi cable->splitter<-hdmi cable<->TV
>                                       |<-->spdif cable<->amplifier
>
> I know most high end amplifiers have hdmi switching, but mine is a
> humble (but capable and loud) Logitech z5500 with DTS and AC3
> decoding.

I think there are some devices that can split the digital audio off to
SPDIF and the video off to HDMI/DVI, but I seem to remember that they
were quite expensive when I looked a few years ago.
Another choice might be to have your audio instead be handled on a USB
sound card that has an SPDIF connection available.  I think Turtle
Beach makes them (I'm sure others also), but I have no experience at
all with them.

Frank