[mythtv-users] Very slow EPG guide - movement, etc (XMLTV source, 66 channels)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Feb 7 19:42:48 UTC 2010

On 02/07/2010 02:28 PM, Rafael Moslin wrote:
> On 7 February 2010 19:19, David Kubicek wrote:
>
>> Great suggestion, actually, because my current XMLTV grabber is the first
>> one to include channel icon URL's! :) That could be it. I'll check it out.
>>
>> Can't imagine how permissions would cause such delays, open() just succeeds
>> or fails,

But when you try 12 times per channel icon (because you /promised/ myth
that the channels were available in the locations your database
specifies) and factor in the caching and everything, it takes forever.

>> but I'm filling the DB as root for now (while tuning my new
>> grabber) and channel icons are in /root/.mythtv/channels (or similar), which
>> isn't readable by myth user.
>>
>> I allowed read perms for /root temporarily (no secrets there anyway) and
>> the delays are GONE!
>>
>> Nice one, thank you Michael. :)
> Cool, that was my next suggestion for you based on a problem years back with
> gif icons, happily beaten to it!  Just out of intrest I have always used
> (Radio Times) XMLTV with 14 days advance guide

Right, the program listings are tiny in the grand scheme.  Nothing to
worry about for either speed of the app or size of the database.

>  and have in excess of 2 years
> of data

Though only about 24 days of listings data, max...  10 days prior to
today plus up to about 2 weeks after today.  Myth cleans up the database
automatically.

>  with no noticeable slowdown.

Exactly.

Mike