[mythtv-users] Question about setting up Video Sources

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Feb 7 04:50:22 UTC 2010

On 02/06/2010 11:08 PM, Frank Merrill wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 10:32 PM, RALPH KEMP wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the info Mike....I'm not sure that I knew that tuning information
>> were part of the information stored in Video sources - that does clarify
>> things...
> Like Mike said: "A video source is a unique list of channels (and their tuning
> information)"
>
> Personally I always disliked them being called Video Sources, and I
> always now convert that in my mind to 'Listings Sources'.
> After all, they are a list of programs that are available, information
> about such programs (name, description, time, etc), and what I would
> have to 'tune to' to record them.

Right, all of that information is tied to the channel which is tied to
the video source, so it's all included.

> At least that's how I think of them.

However, my listings source is Schedules Direct.  From Schedules Direct
I can get listings for many different sources of video--OTA ATSC
captured with a digital capture card, OTA ATSC through an HDTV converter
to a PVR-150, analog cable through a PVR-150, QAM cable via digital
capture card, QAM cable via firewire, QAM cable via an STB captured by
an HD-PVR, Dish or DirecTV satellite through a STB and captured by an
HD-PVR, ...  :)  (And, even if you considered the separate Schedules
Direct lineups or XMLTV <name>.conf as different listings sources, many
users share the same Schedules Direct lineups/XMLTV confs with multiple
video sources.)

I will admit that video source is not a very intuitive name, but I think
"listings source" only makes it understandable for the simplest of
configurations--and makes it far more confusing for other
configurations.  But then again, I don't think we'll ever find an
intuitive name to describe such a complex idea--no matter what we call
it, people will still either need to read the documentation (which can
still leave them confused) and/or ask questions to figure it out.  So
the best bet is probably to try to help educate people in what the
<confusing idea with a bad name> really means.  :)

That said, for those who have simple configurations, thinking of it as a
Listings Source is probably a good way to understand what all it
encompasses.

Mike