[mythtv-users] First Time VDPAU Attempt - Questions

Greg Hermsen g.hermy15 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 01:17:52 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 5:32 PM, julien <trankkilou at gmail.com> wrote:
> mythfrontend --version should told u
> #mythfrontend --version
> Please include all output in bug reports.
> MythTV Version   : 23428M
> MythTV Branch    : trunk
> Network Protocol : 56
> Library API      : 0.23.20100131-1
> QT Version       : 4.5.3
> Options compiled in:
>  linux release using_oss using_alsa using_jack using_backend using_dvb
> using_firewire using_frontend using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video
> using_opengl_vsync using_qtwebkit using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr
using_xv
> using_xvmc using_xvmc_vld using_xvmcw using_bindings_perl
> using_bindings_python using_opengl using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads
> using_libavc_5_3 using_mheg
>
> I have core 2 duo # 2.5 ghz and when decoding 1080i with temporal
> desinterlacer 2x my cpu is 96% IDLE
> I think u should get the same result if your cpu is offload
> regrds
> Le 7 févr. 2010 à 00:22, Greg Hermsen a écrit :
>
> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 2:40 AM, Richard Morton
> <richard.e.morton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am probably asking a stupid question, you do have the binary proprietary
>
> nvidia drivers installed and enabled?
>
> All I had to do was enable the driver and set the playback profile.
>
> Look under system administration hardware drivers in gnome, not sure in
xcfe

> On 5 Feb 2010 23:57, "Greg Hermsen" <g.hermy15 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm running MythBuntu 9.10 and just purchased an Nvidia 9400GT card.
>
> I looked at the VDPAU info at:
>
>   http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU
>
> I think I need to recompile mythtv. It says...
>
> MythTV
>
>  ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-proc-opt --disable-joystick-menu \
>
>  --disable-firewire --disable-hdhomerun --disable-xvmcw
--enable-xvmc-opengl

> \
>
>  --enable-vdpau  --disable-directfb --enable-opengl-vsync
>
> MythPlugins
>
>  ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-opengl --enable-mytharchive \
>
>  --disable-mythbrowser --disable-mythcontrols --disable-mythflix \
>
>  --enable-mythgallery --disable-mythgame --enable-mythmusic
>
> --disable-mythnews \
>
>  --disable-mythphone --enable-mythvideo --disable-mythweather \
>
>  --disable-mythzoneminder --disable-mythmovies
>
> Can somebody give me a little direction?  The above two references
>
> look like compile parameters I need to put in a file.  If so, where
>
> should it be located, and what should it be called?  What is the
>
> command to compile?
>
> I'm running on a AMD 9350e quad core with 2 GB ram.  I'm using the
>
> VDPAU Normal playback profile.  The video quality is very good, but my
>
> four cores are running between 10-30% (concurrently).  I think VDPAU
>
> must be running on my CPU instead of the 9400 GPU.  When I change my
>
> playback profile to VDPAU High Quality, the video stutters.
>
> Any help is apprieciatd.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg

> I do have the proprietary Nvidia driver installed and enabled.  I'm
> not at my Myth system now, I think it was driver version 183 or 185.
>
> I do have "VDPAU Normal" selected in the playback profile.  What I'm
> not sure of however, is the video processing  being offloaded to the
> GPU.  From what I read, it looks like I might need to recompile myth
> with an option that would enable mythtv to offload the graphics
> processing to the GPU.
>
> I'm looking for:
> 1) confirmation that I do or do not need to recompile
> 2) if I need to recompile, how do I do that?
> 3) feedback on my CPU observation.  While running mythtv the for cores
> are typically at something like 5%, 22%, 13%, 30%
>    * Does this suggest that VDPAU processing is likely being done my
> CPU instead of my GPU?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Here's what my system showed...

mythfrontend --version
Please include all output in bug reports.
MythTV Version   : 22594
MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-22-fixes
Network Protocol : 50
Library API      : 0.22.20091023-1
QT Version       : 4.5.2
Options compiled in:
linux profile using_oss using_alsa using_pulse using_jack using_backend
using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_glx_proc_addr_arb
using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu
using_libfftw3 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video using_opengl_vsync
using_qtwebkit using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc
using_xvmc_vld using_xvmcw using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
using_opengl *using_vdpau* using_ffmpeg_threads using_libavc_5_3 using_live
using_mheg

I looked in in the glossary in the mythtv.org wiki at deinterlacing.  It
stated:

Note that the deinterlacers available vary based on your renderer. For
example, you will find many more deinterlacing choices if you use the OpenGL
renderer and some high-quality hardware deinterlacers with the VDPAU system.
(VDPAU is available only in MythTV 0.22 or later, or patched versions of
0.21.)

Based on this statement, I believe you had to compile VDPAU in earlier
versions but that it comes automatically with version 0.22.  I think it must
be working as it should.

Thanks,
Greg