[mythtv-users] Myth 0.22 / VDPAU / Horizontal "noise/sparkles"

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Fri Feb 5 21:35:45 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Blammo" <blammo.doh at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2010 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Myth 0.22 / VDPAU / Horizontal "noise/sparkles"

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Peter Laengert <peter at rogers.com> wrote:
> I think the OP is correct in blaming this on his onboard chipset. A number
> of users have reported similar issues playing back MPEG2 video with VDPAU,
> and the chipset appears to be the common element:
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=136817&page=3
>
> In my case, the sparkles or artifacts began appearing when I upgraded my
> video card to a 9500GT. I can largely eliminate the problem by playing the
> same recording using mplayer (with VDPAU) rather than mythtv's internal
> player.

>Thank you for sharing this... the discussions on that thread sound
SPOT on to the problem I'm having.. the bugger is that the only fix
for me, TODAY, is replacement hardware.. ;(

>It is both encouraging and disappointing that other people are also
experiencing the same thing ONLY in MythTV, and that applications like
MPLAYER and XINE are working fine... That leaves us in a situation
where the onus is on Myth Developers to try to figure out where
something they thought they were doing RIGHT poked something nasty in
the NVIDIA drivers.

I do not support this offer for the MythTV Devs, having been the first person on record to question the chipset many months ago I've
been watching this topic with interest, given the pain it caused me....

The main opportunity seems to be with NVIDIA who are supporting a subset of motherboard chipsets and not all.  See my previous posts
on this.

It might have been more helpful if NVIDIA and its vendors made compatibility information more prominent and specific.

If we are lucky NVIDIA will incorporate driver support for these other chipsets in newer drivers.

It is encouraging that NVIDIA now have a test rig that is failing.  Another chipset they had reports of issues with but never got to
test it, to my knowledge, although they may have got some of the way.

If you do not want to take a punt and wait, get a compatible motherboard.  (Sorry, I've been there too!)