[mythtv-users] TIVO and cablecard ?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 17:45:41 UTC 2010

> hmm.. i think i'm getting conflicting information. so can or can i not
> record in parallel 4 channels (premium and unencrypted) using the
> cablevision box with attached mythtv. If i have 4 tuners installed on the
> (mythtv box) and have premium channels encoded with 5c encryption?
> Can i please have a definite answer?
>
> If the answer is "NO". then how many channels can i record simultaneously?

When I was talking about the ability of recording unencrypted content,
I am talking about QAM and not firewire. In the case of QAM you do not
need a cablebox. You connect directly to the cable and are able to
receive only the channels that are not encrypted. On most cable
systems this gives you just the local networks + possible shopping
channels ...

John