[mythtv-users] what to tweak when HDMI isn't device 0?

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 16:19:38 UTC 2010

> I had a similar issue. I had two audio devices being created for my
> Avermedia A180 capture cards, in addition to the correct VT8237 device,and
> it was a crapshoot as to what order the devices loaded.
>
> Blacklisting, and reordering the module load orders did not seem to help.

Hmm, yea, all my recent boots (with and without a blacklist) have been
putting the HDMI device first regardless.  So now I'm not so sure
about my workaround.

> I thought I was going to have to use UDEV rules (which is something I don't
> know how to do yet), but came across this .asoundrc solution which works
> great.
>
> There was a script on the following linked page (at the bottom) that
> generated the configuration for me:
>
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/.asoundrc

Thanks for the pointer!  I initially set frontend's sound to
ALSA:default and added:

pcm.!default hdmi:NVidia
ctl.!default hdmi:NVidia

to .asoundrc.  But I've since changed the frontend's sound to
explicitly specify "ALSA:hdmi:NVidia", and that also appears to work.

Now I just need to get the m/c to boot with re-ordered cards to
confirm that things work in all cases.

Andrew