[mythtv-users] Wireless Bridges and "Thinking it's wired"

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Feb 5 16:12:21 UTC 2010

On Friday 05 February 2010 09:06:39 am Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Feb 2010, Brian Wood wrote:
> > No it's not, and I don't expect anything except to stop the casual non-
> > technical users from connecting. In my neighborhood I feel it's good
> > enough, and anything I'd worry about is already using SSL or SSH anyway.
> > The worst case would be someone using my bandwidth, which would probably
> > concern my ISP more than me.
>
> Worst case is more like someone using your bandwidth to download
> kiddie-porn, and the FBI showing up, arresting you, and confiscating all
> your computer equipment, it then being up to you to prove you didn't do it.

Perhaps you then want to have poor security. No matter how hard you try you
could be penetrated, and someone else could make such an illegal download.

As long as you can show it would easily be possible for the DL to have been
made by someone else, then a "reasonable doubt" would exist.

Ooops, I forgot, with such matters you are no longer "innocent until proven
guilty beyond a reasonable doubt".

So is there a legal requirement to have impenetrable security? That would be
hard to enforce, since the Pentagon and other government entities seem
incapable of doing it.