[mythtv-users] Wireless Bridges and "Thinking it's wired"

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Feb 4 20:12:38 UTC 2010

On Feb 4, 2010, at 11:28 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> I was only thinking about WiFi encryption, but I hadn't thought
> about SSL
> sites and the like, you're right though, those would probably be
> prohibited.
> Even SSH would probably be out.

I've heard of some IP-over-packet sites using SSH, hacked to not
encrypt content but to still do public key authentication.  I thought
that was pretty clever because it allowed running an unencrypted link,
in compliance with FCC rules, without ever sending passwords in
cleartext.

> Many people use amateur radio for work, or at least "at" work,
> though I think
> it's technically a "pecuniary interest" and would be prohibited.

My understanding is there's nothing that says you can't use it *at*
work, but using it to pass messages on *behalf of your employer* would
be a no-no.  So, say, a trucker could use it to chat with his buddies
but not to ask where to pick up his next load.  The idea is to keep
businesses from using the amateur bands as an alternative to business-
band services like BRS and GMRS.

The FCC has repeatedly refused to clarify this rule -- they clearly
want people to think of the spirit of the rule, instead of having to
provide lists of OK and prohibited situations that people might search
for loopholes.