[mythtv-users] Wireless Bridges and "Thinking it's wired"

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 4 19:28:29 UTC 2010

On Thursday 04 February 2010 11:14:52 am David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2010, at 9:25 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Thursday 04 February 2010 10:11:02 am Travis Tabbal wrote:
> >> I'm not aware of any. Also of interest, don't the amateur rules
> >> forbid
> >> encryption?
> >
> > Thinking about that, I think the rules against a "pecuniary
> > interest" might be
> > more of a problem.
>
> You wouldn't be able to legally use it for work.  And visiting any SSL-
> encrypted sites would be out, because of the prohibition on
> encryption, so that pretty much rules out online shopping.  There are
> still useful applications but those restrictions pretty much eliminate
> general-purpose Internet use.

I was only thinking about WiFi encryption, but I hadn't thought about SSL
sites and the like, you're right though, those would probably be prohibited.
Even SSH would probably be out.

Oh well, it was a thought.

Many people use amateur radio for work, or at least "at" work, though I think
it's technically a "pecuniary interest" and would be prohibited.

The 2.4 Ghz. band is just getting too crowded, and not just because of WiFi.

We used to use a 2.5 Ghz. link for BB games from the old McNichols Arena in
Denver to Mount Morrison, we had problems with Coors using really high-powered
microwave ovens to dry the paint on beer cans. This was back in the early 80s.