[mythtv-users] Wireless Bridges and "Thinking it's wired"

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Thu Feb 4 15:49:16 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> hiding behind print so fine that most lawyers would reject it (the "Enron
> Miniscule" font).

I just love that bit. :) I wonder if someone has actually created a font
file for that. It would be funny as hell to have installed on Linux boxes.
:) Printable only with 1600dpi laser printers and readable only under 50x
magnification. :)

> At least even the obtainable rates with WiFi are faster than most consumer
> "broadband" connections, as those speeds get faster with DOCSYS3 and FIOS,
> the
> bottlenecks will become more obvious even to non video users.

I've always kind of wondered what users will do what that happens. Or if
they will even notice.

For the other poster, Myth does buffer the stream. Perhaps they could use a
larger buffer, but with enough traffic, it still won't be enough. I have
some blu-ray rips that run about 20G/hour. That's a lot of data to buffer
even for a couple minutes. HD recordings from ATSC run about 8G/hour. A
little more reasonable, but still....

Yes, pulling wire in finished walls sucks. But being able to grab a patch
cable and have a switched gigabit link anywhere in my house is priceless.
Even my wife appreciates it now that she sees what I can do with all that
cable I spent days pulling all over the house, though she thought I was nuts
at the time. And I don't have to care about the crapfest that is the 2.4Ghz
band. Unlike my neighbor that complains to me constantly about how slow it
is to access data from another machine on his wireless network.  It also
doesn't hurt that the storage array in my server is nearly 3x faster than
the network link. I really need to consider investing in a switch that can
do bonded connections for that box. :)