[mythtv-users] Hardware resrouces required for s/w encode

Michael PARKER michael.parker at st.com
Thu Feb 4 09:05:49 UTC 2010

Garry,

> As far as I understand, for both SD and HD recording, Linux just dumps
> the raw stream to disk. There is no encoding required.

This is contradicted by Section 10.5 of the MythTV HOWTO:

"For cards without hardware encoding capabilities (all cards supported by V4L not listed above),
Myth includes two methods for software encoding: RTjpeg and MPEG-4. RTjpeg has significantly fewer
CPU demands than MPEG-4, but it generates larger files than MPEG-4 for a given recording."

It sounds as if s/w encode of a PAL/NTSC/Composite/S-video (i.e. non MPEG-2 or h.264) input to
either RTjpeg or MPEG-4 is mandatory if h/w MPEG-2 encode is not available.

I'm cc'ing mythtv-users to see if anyone else can shed any light on this.

Thanks for your help,

Mike