[mythtv-users] Wireless Bridges and "Thinking it's wired"

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 02:47:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 February 2010 05:37:24 pm Brian Wood wrote:
>
>> My point was that using a Wireless bridge is *not * the same thing as using
>>  a wired connection. It might work in a similar manner in some cases, but
>>  wireless is a very different animal from WiFi.
>    ********
>
> I meant "wired", of course.

One advantage of a wireless bridge is the ability for the client to
PXE boot from their wired card, a feat which is tricky from a wireless
card.

The Squeezebox devices can act as a network bridge, and I have my
bedroom frontend plugged into one and netbooting.

Sometimes the wireless doesn't provide enough bandwidth, sometimes it
does. I suspect other traffic is the problem, when my son goes into
his bedroom and starts browsing/downloading off his wireless laptop,
the bedroom PC seems to stutter more.