[mythtv-users] Record only HD or prefer HD over SD

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Feb 4 00:13:20 UTC 2010

On 02/03/2010 06:06 PM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> Regardless, I give up.  Read the HOWTO (
>> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html ) or don't, whatever you
>> want.  Either way, live with the results, and please don't complain when
>> MythTV does exactly what you told it to do.
>>
> I've seen you give this advice countless times (and thanks for your
> patience!).  Not that I'm offering to write a patch, but has anyone
> ever considered an option where both versions of the program get
> recorded, and the less desirable version is subsequently deleted?

Actually, yes.  David Shay was (or, more precisely, a patch to allow
re-recording a show if the already-recorded version was standard
definition and the new showing was high definition).  Thread at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/281219#281219 .

In the end, though, it turned out to be mostly unnecessary thanks to
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/312900#312900 (plus
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/313077#313077 ).  If
you wanted to wrap that up into an example clause in
programs/mythfrontend/customedit.cpp , I'm sure a lot of people would
love it.  (If you don't, I may get around to it one of these days. :)

The only thing left is something to go back through and delete the SDTV
versions (though it could be accomplished with a user job that runs
after the HDTV re-record rule, invoking a Python-bindings-using script
that either sends a command to the backend to delete the SDTV version or
changes its recording group to LiveTV or, for those using the "Auto
Expire Instead of Delete Recording" option, Deleted).

Mike