[mythtv-users] TIVO and cablecard ?

Misc Things formisc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 19:14:26 UTC 2010

After my earlier discussion with a few guys here it seemed that i'm stuck
with the cable box.
At the same time after conversation with TIVO support:
Andrew : So my question is - if i purchase the DVR ,can i get rid of their
cabel box ?
Roderick: Which model are you getting?
Andrew : i'm just thinking about buying. nothin specific in mind.
Andrew : i guess smth that can support 2/3 recodings and one playback at a
time. and HD "capable".
Roderick: Ok, then I would recommend one of our HD models, either the TiVo
HD (20 hours HD recording time), or the HD XL (150 hours HD recording time).
Roderick: With our HD's you do not need a cable box.
Roderick: However you will still need a cablecard to tune encrypted
channels.
Roderick: Cablecards will still be provided by the cable company but are
usually less than a cable box.
Andrew : cable card... so i can insert cablecard into the TIVO box ?
Roderick: Yes, HD TiVo's work with cablecards.
Andrew : do i need cablecard for basic channels too ?
Roderick: No, analog channels do not need a cablecard.
Andrew : i think they converted them already to digital.
Andrew : or about to convert

Is there a TV card that i can use the cablecard with and have MyTH working
completely - recording multiple shows, switching channels etc ?
thank you
Andrew