[mythtv-users] ALSA audio conflict w/ Boxee/HuluDesktop

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 18:36:49 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 12:05 PM, j2u4 j2u4 <j2u44u at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, I'll give that a whirl. I discovered last night that my fix for
> boxee isn't a very good one anyway -- the main boxee application works, but
> all boxee apps don't get sound when launched from within mythtv, so I can't
> even watch youtube via boxee with my current setup.
> I'm curious why mythtv won't work when by using my default audio device, set
> with gnome's sound control applet, though (Karmic Koala). All other apps
> (boxee, hulu, et al) seem to respect those settings.
> -j
> On Wed Feb 3 04:48:28 UTC 2010, mythtv at blandford.net wrote:
>> I don't use HDMI, but to get sound in huludesktop I had to create an
>> .asoundrc in the home directory of the user running mythtv.
>>
>> I used spdif, and it looks like this:
>>
>> pcm.!default spdif
>>
>> Michael

As I'm not a programmer/developer I'm not sure what this would entail,
but would it be a good idea for an EXEC call to also make Myth release
the audio device? If possible/practical, it would probably fix a lot
of these types of problems. I got around it using the
EXPERIMENTALLY_ENABLE_PULSEAUDIO or whatever the environment variable
is and that fixed it for me, but I'm still not using PA for myth, it's
outputting directly to SPDIF.

Richard