[mythtv-users] Record only HD or prefer HD over SD

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Feb 3 16:47:29 UTC 2010

Michael T. Dean wrote:

>Yes, you can set priorities on inputs and on channels--but you shouldn't
>do either.
>
>Why even leave the standard-def channels in the list?

Because the SD channels carry programmes that aren't on the HD
channels. That's what the OP said, and that would be the situation
here in the UK if I could afford a new tuner (and optionally dish) to
get our HD channels on Freeview or freesat.

EG, BBC HD is not a duplicate of any other channel, but carries a
different set of programs. Many of them are actually simulcast with
SD on one of the other channels, but not all.

>... or if you do
>change channel priorities, make the standard def priorities negative,
>rather than making the high-def priorities positive.
>
>See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/419180#419180

I've read that. Of course, in my case I'd have one card/input with
both SD and HD content - so adding inputs/cards in a specific order
wouldn't work.

I note the comment in that thread about missing recordings if the
schedule changes. That will **always** be a problem unless you have
lots of available inputs or not many recording rules. If you don't
have the resources to record the first showing of a program then you
are always at the mercy of the broadcasters changing the schedules so
that a later showing no longer exists. That isn't much of a problem
in my experience (I can imagine that may be different for others) -
far more of a problem is when programs get changed with no notice
(sports event over-runs, big news event, etc), so Myth records the
wrong content and by the time you sit down to watch, it's too late to
have it record a later repeat.

Is there any practical difference between setting a positive priority
on HD channels, vs setting a negative priority on SD channels ?
--
Simon Hobson

WANTED: "Software CD ROM Kit" for Canon CLBP 360-PS printer (Canon
part no RH6-3612, or possibly RH6-3810, or RH6-3610 might do). I've a
dead HD and need this CD so I can replace the disk and re-install the
printer OS on it. If anyone knows where I might get hold of one I'd
be grateful - requests to Canon drew a blank, it's been out of
support for years.
Alternatively, if anyone has one of these and would let me image
their hard disk ...