[mythtv-users] Firewire & RNG110, Channel Scanner, Channel changing

Greg Zornetzer gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 06:38:33 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Aron Schatz <aronschatz at aselabs.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have some nagging issues. I'm setting up a new master backend (with
> frontend) with Mythbuntu 9.10. I'm using Comcast (NJ, Verona line up).
>
> Using the channel scanner, the scanner finds a whole bunch of clear QAM
> channels (on QAM-64 and QAM-256), but since there is no channel data, MythTV
> asks me to fill out what channel numbers for every unknown channel. There
> are about 100 channels and this is pretty annoying to do manually. Is there
> a way to have MythTV just fill out a generic channel number itself (like
> 107.4 or something). It is tiring sitting there and assigning channel
> numbers in the scanner only to have to change them later (when the correct
> number is found from watching the channel). MythTV used to just assign a
> number automatically, but it seemed this got changed in this build.
>
> The second issue is watching LiveTV. When MythTV encounters a bad channel
> (where it can't tune, or other problems), it throws you back to the menu and
> gives an error. This shouldn't happen, it should give you an error and stay
> watching the previous channel. After the channel errors out, you are stuck
> and can't watch LiveTV anymore without going into the setup and removing the
> channel and telling the LiveTV to not start at that channel. If a channel
> isn't tunable, MythTV shouldn't start LiveTV with it, it should only use the
> last known good channel. This would be a big time fix for new setups and bad
> channels.
>
> The third thing is that I have a new RNG110 HDTV box that has working
> Firewire (says on the diag page of the box). I've used two different
> motherboards and a VIA firewire card (known working with a Firewire hard
> drive), but the cable box just isn't detected by anything. It might be the
> cable, but I doubt that (I'll get another to try). Everytime I run
> plugreport, it only list node 0 which is nothing. Any suggestions on this
> one?
>
> Ohh, I know that scte65scan is supposed to work for Comcast users, but when
> I run it it gives "parse_cds:734: FATAL: CDS too big; noncompliant
> datastream?" What does this error mean and how can I get the PSIP data so I
> don't need to manually map channels?

Hi Aron,
After dealing with huge mess of dealing with the channel scanner (and having
to fix it with the sql output from scte65scan), I think it might be better
to just manually program the channels with sql (after checking the list with
my tv's qam tuner).  However, it's rather annoying that scte65scan doesn't
work for you.  No idea how to fix that.

Second issue - I'm sure that the developers would accept a patch for this,
but I don't know enough of the code for myth to make that happen.

Third issue - I have the same box (RNG110).  I'm a Fedora user and had to
upgrade to the latest version to make it work.  In particular, the new
firewire stack (juju) seemed to help.  I think that Ubuntu might use the old
stack.  Could you post the lspci -v output for the firewire card (or
function on the motherboard)?
Thanks,
-Greg