[mythtv-users] Record only HD or prefer HD over SD

Christian Szpilfogel chrisznews4 at rogers.com
Wed Feb 3 02:59:30 UTC 2010

I've been trying to find a reasonable way to do this but it is not clear
that you can without writing a custom rule.

Basically I have two HD-PVRs that have all channels available to them.
This includes HD and SD channels. I need to maintain the SD channels
because they are still much more comprehensive in terms of channel and
content coverage and likely will be for some time to come.

Ideally what I would like is to be able to record a show's new episodes
in HD as a priority on whatever HD channel it may appear. That is, if
there is a showing sometime within the schedule that has an HD version,
I would like it to record that showing as opposed to the SD version.

Optionally, a way to schedule a show but only the HD version and ignore
any SD versions would be good. This should be much easier and would meet
90% of my needs. A variant of this might be to restrict the recording to
a  channel group which could be set up with all HD channels.

Is any of this possible in 0.22 (i.e. have a I missed something) or is
it planned for 0.23 without a custom rule?

The closest I found was the preference for HD over widescreen over SD
but this only applies during an immediate schedule conflict (ie. where
it is shown simultaneously on an HD and SD channel). In my case it was
picking up earlier showings of the SD version on a different channel.

Thanks for any input.

Christian