[mythtv-users] Channel Scanner Problems (auto assign?)

Jim Beckett beckett.jim at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 02:32:20 UTC 2010

Aron Schatz wrote:
> Hello Jim,
>
> Thanks for the response. I've been trying to use the scte65scan
> utility for awhile but all I get is an error. My full post was here:
> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2010-February/280014.html
>
> "Ohh, I know that scte65scan is supposed to work for Comcast users, but
> when I run it it gives "parse_cds:734: FATAL: CDS too big; noncompliant
> datastream?" What does this error mean and how can I get the PSIP data
> so I don't need to manually map channels?"
>
> I actually have the full range of clear QAM channels that used to be
> on extended cable, but there is no easy way of mapping them. If
> scte65scan worked, it would really be helpful.
>
> But still, my suggestion about having MythTV auto assign channel
> numbers would be very helpful (a box saying "auto assign all unknown
> channels" for instance).
>
> Thanks.
> -Aron

Hey Aron,

I think I might be of much use to you in this... But, here goes:

Is it correct to assume that you are not able to get the initial
tables.txt file generated?

Are you using scte65scan-0.2.1?

If so, what is the exact command are you running?

There is a very sparse forum for scte65scan here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/scte65scan/forums/forum/954857

You might want to send an email to Dennis Lou (his email address is at
the top of the scte65scan.c file).

He could probably shed the most light on the issue.

As a last ditch effort:

I see that the error comes up on line 734 of scte65scan.c:

      if (index >  255) fatalp("CDS too big; noncompliant datastream?\n");

I have no idea whether this will work, but, what happens if you comment
that line out, recompile, and then run it?

    // if (index >  255) fatalp("CDS too big; noncompliant datastream?\n");

-Jim