[mythtv-users] Super signals for tuner tweaking ?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Feb 2 18:50:13 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 02 February 2010 07:18:14 am Dan Wilga wrote:
> On 2/2/10 4:44 AM, Brett Delmage wrote:
> > So what do people use to tune and calibrate their tuner-screen chains?
> > Is there anything on a typical cable feed that is useful consistently
> > available and can be used for comparative purposes? Decades ago, the
> > broadcaster's test patterns would often come on at 1 AM and could be
> > there all night, or again in the AM anyway, but that's long gone...
>
> Here's a site that has test pattern movies you can download:
>
> http://www.w6rz.net/

That's a good site for test files, but it will not help set up "tuners", you'd
need an RF modulator to do that, and ATSC or QAM modulators are not cheap.

If you are talking about off-air tuners, and you happen to live where the
stations are not 24/7, you might find some test patterns late at night, but
those would probably be for the benefit of the station testing transmitters,
and probably wouldn't help you much.

The days of the "Indian" are, as you said, long gone.

I once suggested a "Bars and Tone" channel to my local cable operator, of
course I just got "why would you want that?".