[mythtv-users] gt 240, fanless card .. issues

David Durham david.durham.jr at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 15:46:25 UTC 2010

> Now that you are experiencing the fantastic CPU savings of vdpau, you
> may find that the cpu power saving configuration kicks in.
> (cpufreq/powernowd/etc)
>
> With the CPU underutilised, the cpu speed drops to the lowest clock
> rate, and (depending on your mobo/chipset/cpu) this can also slow the
> bus (pci/pci-e/disk/memory etc).
>
> If you do experience stuttering, make sure you turn all power-saving
> modes off and retest. I personally
> have the cpu's drop to their lowest setting, while a friend finds
> stuttering when the cpu speed drops
> because their chipset also reduces (throttles?) PCI-E bandwidth.

Is this typically a bios setting?

Actually I do experience stuttering, but only from drives connected to
an external eSata enclosure (no problems with internal drives).  Here
are what I think are the relevant specs:

04:00.0 RAID bus controller [0104]: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3132
Serial ATA Raid II Controller [1095:3132] (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Silicon Image, Inc. Device [1095:7132]
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
        Region 0: Memory at feaffc00 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128]
        Region 2: Memory at feaf8000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Region 4: I/O ports at dc00 [size=128]
        Expansion ROM at fea00000 [disabled] [size=512K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: sata_sil24

$ sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sdh

/dev/sdh:
 Timing cached reads:   7820 MB in  2.00 seconds = 3913.46 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   40 MB in  4.31 seconds =   9.27 MB/sec

Any suggestions about improving harddrive performance?  Could be PCI-E
throttling if the internal drives aren't using that bus.

Thanks,
Dave