[mythtv-users] Comments sought on combined FE/BE box spec

Jim Morton Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com
Tue Feb 2 14:38:08 UTC 2010

Michael PARKER wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a newbie to Myth and, having developed an idea of the functionality available using an old 500MHz P3, I'm trying to spec out a combined FE/BE HTPC.
>
> I'm aiming for something quiet and relatively low power, but with enough horsepower for HD decode/BluRay playback. As far as is possible, I'm looking for something that won't require significant upgrades for a good few years.
>
> Having trawled around the net for similar spec HTPCs, I've settled on the following spec.
>
> The uATX form factor dictates a max of 2 PCI slots - needed for a wireless card and the HVR-4000 tuner card.
>
> MB: 		ASUS M3N78-EM
> CPU:		AMD Athlon II X4 605e Energy Efficient Quad Core, S AM3, 2.3GHz, 2MB Cache, 45W
> RAM:		Crucial DDR2-1066/PC2-8500 2x2GB
> PCI1:		D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL G520
> PCI2:		Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-4000
> HDD:		2TB Samsung HD203WI Spinpoint F3EG, EcoGreen, SATA 3Gb/s, 32MB Cache, 8.9 ms, NCQ
> CASE:		Antec Fusion Remote Black
> PSU:		385W Enermax PRO82+ EPR385AWT
> FAN:		Scythe Shuriken Rev.B Quiet Low Profile
> OPTICAL:	Samsung SH-B083L/BSBP Blu-Ray Combo Player 8x BD-ROM, 16x DVD-ROM, 48x CD-ROM Read, LightScribe, OEM

1. The Blu-Ray player is overkill. AFAIK Blu-Ray playback is not
available on Linux.
2. I would add an 80GB hdd for the os.
3. I second the advice of wired over wireless and suggest pulling cat6
for gigabit network. Gigabit is certainly not needed but with drives in
the TB sizes now it sure is convenient when dragging large amounts of
data around to not have to wait hours.