[mythtv-users] Comments sought on combined FE/BE box spec

bhaskins at chartermi.net bhaskins at chartermi.net
Tue Feb 2 14:15:58 UTC 2010

---- Michael PARKER <michael.parker at st.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a newbie to Myth and, having developed an idea of the functionality available using an old 500MHz P3, I'm trying to spec out a combined FE/BE HTPC.
>
> I'm aiming for something quiet and relatively low power, but with enough horsepower for HD decode/BluRay playback. As far as is possible, I'm looking for something that won't require significant upgrades for a good few years.
>
> Having trawled around the net for similar spec HTPCs, I've settled on the following spec.
>
> The uATX form factor dictates a max of 2 PCI slots - needed for a wireless card and the HVR-4000 tuner card.
>
> MB: 		ASUS M3N78-EM
> CPU:		AMD Athlon II X4 605e Energy Efficient Quad Core, S AM3, 2.3GHz, 2MB Cache, 45W
> RAM:		Crucial DDR2-1066/PC2-8500 2x2GB
> PCI1:		D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL G520
///
What is the chipset in this card?
--- mini-rant
It pays to be careful here, very few wireless chipsets will "just work" under Linux, across most distros and across kernel updates.
I agree that many can be "made" to work but really how silly is that?
The only!!! one that I know of is a 2200BG (Intel ) which can be used in a mainframe with an adapter or directly into a pci-e  laptop ).
I really wish that someone would prove me wrong here but here is the test:
1. install, turn on), NM comes up,  enter WPA-PSK (at least )... up.
2. On any major distro, no need to recompile, use a special kmod, ndiswrapper, etc
I still have not found any USB adapter that will do the above... I have bought three.
--- end mini