[mythtv-users] Master backend with no capture card

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Tue Feb 2 00:41:18 UTC 2010

I found this issue discussed on the list back in 2005, but no definitive
answer given.

I'm looking to build a new server soon, and with terabyte drives so
cheap, I'm looking at moving my Myth storage down to the server.  Since
the server is also guaranteed to be running 24x7, I'd also like to move
the Myth master backend to that machine.  But it doesn't work to get an
antenna feed down into my server closet.  I works much better to make my
current (only) backend machine into a slave backend, and set up WOL so
the master can kick it when it needs to record.

I do have an old unused capture card that I could stick in and
configure, but I really can't get a signal there.

Is it possible to run a card-less master backend?  Lacking that, can I
stick a card in, set it up properly and associate it with my Schedules
Direct lineup, then somehow configure it so it'll never get used?
(Since it won't really work, anyway.)

Thanks,
Dale Pontius