[mythtv-users] Playback freeze/lockup + kernel panic

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 12:38:53 UTC 2010

On 1 February 2010 01:37, steve <networks1 at cox.net> wrote:

> >Just for the record, a memory corruption problem is not necessarily a
> memory problem. Memory corruption
> >could be caused by software, for example, copying memory into an array
> that
> exceeds the array's size and
> >stomping on a pointer in some data structure that follows the array.
> Memory
> corruption is really hard to
> >debug because the offending event can occur long before the crash.
>
> Good point.  Most of the things I've found about kernel panic say it's
> almost always a hardware problem.  I hope that's the case and it's not what
> you're describing.
>
> Hardware or driver/kernel code related.

What version of the nVidia drivers are you using? I get a kernel panic when
starting X with nVidia drivers newer than 190.18, I think related to my
Xorg.conf (although as it's not a huge issue I've not investigated further.)
It might be worth looking at though?

OTOH I just finished running 10 passes of memtest86+ and it found no
> problems :-(  so if that's believable it's not a hardware problem in the
> memory sticks.  I still can't find any way to test the video hardware in
> linux.
>
> Yeah, that sounds fairly okay, I've had memtest take 15-20 hours to find
issues with marginal memory modules before, but that was causing a crash
every few days, not in a repeatable fashion like you're describing.

> About a week ago I was having problems with choppy audio because I did not
> have the video playback profile set to use VDPAU.  Interestingly, when I
> played back under that scenario, the audio was hosed but I did not have
> this
> lockup problem--i.e. a recording would play all the way through.  So
> something must be amiss in the hardware or software associated with VDPAU.
>
> Do you have any issues running things like Compiz, or any graphically
intensive benchmarks?

Ian