[mythtv-users] VMWare on the backend. Viable solution?

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Mon Feb 1 12:31:23 UTC 2010

2010/1/31 Martin Ravell <martin.ravell at rave-tech.com.au>:
<SNIP>
>>Also didn't you ask them about GA-P55-UD3P board? This is the
>>UDP4P-model, which according to the last post in the following thread
>>should support VT-d:
>>http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/268442-12-p55a-ud4p-experience-needed#t
> 1866399
>>
>>Perhaps he just talked to another support guy :-D
>>
>>Best Regards
>>Kenni Lund
>>

> The helldesk guy I spoke to did not inspire a lot of confidence and did go
> off to confer with a colleague. I got the impression that he'd not ever
> heard of VT-d or VT-x before my query.
>
> So, in the face of contradictory information from multiple sources, short of
> getting one of these boards and installing I still don't know if it is going
> to do the job.

If you haven't bought the Gigabyte board yet, perhaps you could "just"
find another motherboard with VT-d support? Before I discovered that I
could just upgrade my Core 2 motherbord into another Core 2
motherboard with VT-d support, I was also looking into Core i7
motherboards with VT-d compatibility. I just checked some old notes of
mine and in the end of my search, I found two Core i7 and VT-d capable
Intel boards, which fitted all of my needs:
Intel Desktop Board DP55KG Extreme Series
Intel Desktop Board DP55WG Media Series

I don't remember the exact reason for choosing these boards, but I
believe it was due to the regular PCI slots (non-express), which I
needed in order to reuse my old tuners. And also, I found several
proofs that these boards worked with VT-d (screenshots, VT-d is
mentioned in BIOS changelog, etc).

> Who would have thought this issue to be so fraught with confusion, even from
> the manufacturer?!?

Yeah, it's annoying, I'm just happy I finally found a working solution
for my own system. It's nice to have an easy way of switching between
trunk and 0.22-fixes virtual backends, etc. Hopefully this situation
will get much better over time, when the technology gets more
widespread.

Best Regards
Kenni Lund