[mythtv-users] Most stable compatible Linux distribution

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 07:47:48 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, 28 December 2010, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> Of course, I should point out that with RHEL, if your driver is using
> only whitelisted kernel symbols, you *never* actually need to rebuild
> the driver, a driver built w/the GA kernel should work with any newer
> RHEL kernel as well (assuming within the same major release stream).

Would still need to manually copy it in the right location :)

Anyhow I just remembered the best reason to avoid redhat based distribution: yum

Gosh that thing sucks :)
I never really could understand why is it that apt/synaptic can do a
full distribution upgrade in about 15 minutes, when yum would take
over 4 hours.

I have been a long long time user of redhat, then rhel ; it's rock
stable provided you know what you are doing and user friendliness in
installation and configuration certainly not one of it's strength.
I even worked at redhat in the US for a few months when we were
porting Linux on hitachi SH3 (I did the port of uclibc to SH
architecture)

Having said that, you're the main reason I got to run mythtv at home.
Your blogs before you even worked for red hat is what got my first
mythtv install running. So thanks again !
And at the time I did it, ubuntu didn't even exists.