[mythtv-users] Most stable compatible Linux distribution

Boleslaw Ciesielski bc-mythtv at comcast.net
Mon Dec 27 17:48:21 UTC 2010

On 12/27/2010 12:06 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> However, I'm not running Fedora on my myth boxes anymore myself, I've
> switched to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. Once CentOS 6 is finally released,
> you can expect there to be an EL6-based distro following closely in its
> wake, which I think will make for a rather compelling mythtv platform for
> quite a few people...

Yes, RHEL/CentOS 6 is very appealing at the moment (or will be once
CentOS is released). I have been considering it myself.

However, keep this in mind. In two, three, four years from now you will
really struggle to get the latest hardware or software support. Just
think how much harder it is now to get myth 0.24 on CentOS 5 running
than it is on Fedora or Ubuntu (at least on modern hardware). So, one
should go that route only if they plan to treat mythtv box as an
appliance and not constantly update it. And where is the fun in that? :-)

Bolek