[mythtv-users] Most stable compatible Linux distribution

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Dec 27 17:42:21 UTC 2010

On 12/27/2010 10:33 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:

> Distros like *buntu seem to be doing too much hand-holding these days.
> It just gets in the way of productivity for someone who knows what they
> are doing.

The 'buntus seem to be more interested in converting people from Windows
than in supporting folks who have been dedicated Linux users for years.

Of course ex-Windows users need a lot more handholding than experienced
Linux users.

I find a lot of the things 'buntu does to "help" Windows converts cause
problems for experienced users.

I have a Kubuntu machine in order to help some friends who have started
to use it, problem is most of those folks use Gnome, and I vastly prefer
KDE.

I've had to switch from KMail to Thunderbird, my ISP is starting to have
a lot of dropouts, which T'bird seems to tolerate better than Kmail with
an IMAP server.

But the answer to which Linux distro is best is "The one you are
familiar and comfortable with". Myth will run on any stable Linux system.