[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.24 HDMI audio problem

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 03:17:12 UTC 2010

On 26 December 2010 13:48, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> actually does the right thing. Still with the "Channels count non available"
> when trying the same -D option to aplay, which sounds like either an aplay
> or alsa driver bug to me.

alsa bug in kernel >= 2.6.36

the edid can now report how many lpcm channels are reported, for some
amp however, like my SP32, it only reports the maximum number of
channels available.
alsa tried to be too smart and always assumed the minimum channels
were also reported.

Note that if you're using ALSA drivers from git, including alsa-lib,
it's much easier to specify the hdmi device which also works for
passthrough (passthrough won't work if you're using hw:x:y as you
can't set the iecbit)

hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=x

DEV=x will automatically use device = 3, device =7 etc...  not that
the x isn't the same number as what's reported by aplay -L

e.g.
DEV=0 = hw:0,3
DEV=1 = hw=0,7
etc..

you know the kernel better than I do, but the instructions there on
how to compile alsa.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:HDAudioPassthrough

Apply the patch I provided earlier to alsa-kmirror