[mythtv-users] Looking for a New remote

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Dec 25 17:25:55 UTC 2010

On Friday, December 24, 2010 04:29:41 pm George Nassas wrote:
> On 2010-12-24, at 1:09 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > I've heard nothing but good reports about the Harmonys from people
> > who actually own them, all the negatives I've heard come from
> > non-owners, and are all price-related, which says something.
>
> Really? I have two (880 & 890) and have plenty of complaints.
>
> The setup website is an exercise in frustration. The smooth symmetric
> layout means I have to usually think about which key I'm on. The
> charging mechanism doesn't. One of the soft keys has stopped
> actuating. On a $20 device I would understand but at the $200 level?
>
> I could write more but in the spirit of Christmas I'll stop here to
> keep the bad vibes brief. Ho ho ho! ;)

Well that's the first negative response I have seen, there may be
thousands, but I haven't seen them.

I agree that having to go to some sort of website to set things up seems
pretty lame, there should at least be an alternative that doesn't
require it.

Most commercial web sites are getting painful for me to visit. Between
10 to 20 trackers, and several ad sites, each requiring DNS lookups and
some sort of interaction, the sites take forever to start to send you
the ubiquitous Flash crap, which usually does nothing related to the
site's purpose or content.

Even Slashdot is getting ridiculous, over 10 different trackers plus the
usual ad networks.

</bad vibes>

Anyway, Happy Holiday to all.