[mythtv-users] PS3 GameOS Frontend: Recorded TV Shows play too "Short"

Lawrence Houston mythtv at greenfield.dyndns.org
Fri Dec 24 21:30:50 UTC 2010

Raymond:

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> On 12/24/2010 14:16, Lawrence Houston wrote:
>> Might anyone have an Explanation as to why the PS3's GameOS is playing
>> "Short" Video Lengths on some (but NOT all), Recorded TV shows???
>
> If you are watching an in-progress recording, the PS3 will only be able to
> play up to the point that was recorded when you started to watch.  Once you
> get to that point, you will have to exit and restart playback.  The PS3 will
> automatically start when you last left off.

I had already figured out that Sony's GameOS only sees the Length of a
Recording at the time the Play Request was made and that one has to
restart the Playback once the MythTV Backend has finished recording the TV
Show to be able to view all the way to the end...  What I was asking about
were TV Shows which have been previously recorded...

> The other possibility is that you are running up against a 4GB file limit.

That said "Bingo" on the 4GB Limit!!!  The Hauppauge HVR-1600's Hardware
Encoding generates 2.2GB for One Hour TV Shows, which have been fine...
The "Problem" is occurring with the 2 Hour (4.4GB) and the 3 Hour (6.5GB)
TV Shows!!!

Is the a "Feature" of Sony's GameOS or related to the way the MythTV
Backend presents the TV Shows as a Media Server to the PS3 (these "Larger"
File Sizes seem fine under Ubuntu and have transferred "Correctly" to
Windows Based PCs from the MythTV Backend's Samba Shares)???  The
Mythbuntu Installation defaulted to using a EXT4 Filesystem, would another
Filesystem "Correct" the Problem of these Longer Recording being
Artificially "Shortened" during Playback on the PS3???

If relevant the MythTV Backend is running on a 1 GHz Pentium III...

Lawrence Houston  --  (mythtv at greenfield.dyndns.org)