[mythtv-users] mythbuntu-diskless - how to set client hostname?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 18:23:07 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I remember digging for this for a couple of hours when I wanted my
>> router to set my hostnames.  The config file is "inside" the chroot
>> environment.
>>
>> /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/ltsp
>>
>> change OVERLAYKEY="HOSTNAME"
>>
>> and rebuild the initrd - you'll be good to go and have friendly
>> hostnames again..
>
> I made the OVERLAYKEY change, then regenerated the initrd by running
> mkinitramfs on the client, then copied the initrd to the server's tftp
> area and rebooted the client.  Now the hostname ends up being "ltsp".
> What could I be doing wrong?

I gave up on trying to solve this problem after I learned that I could
add "overlaykey=<desired-hostname>" to the boot arguments for the
particular frontend in the pxelinux.cfg directory.  This is easy
enough to maintain across 3 frontends.

Along those lines, another useful boot argument is "blacklist=nouveau"
since the other techniques in the wiki seemed to have no effect.

I'll try updating the wiki after everything settles.

Thanks Greg for your help.

Jim