[mythtv-users] Looking for a New remote

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Fri Dec 24 17:59:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-23 at 11:06 -0700, Brian Wood wrote:

> I'm sure you will get glowing testimonials from Harmony users, but I've
> always considered them too pricey.

It really does depend on what you are trying to accomplish. In my case,
the programmability of the Harmony is absolutely necessary in order to
get my wife to use Myth or watch DVD's on her own. The complexity of all
the different inputs on the TV, different inputs on the amp, whether the
TV needs HDMI enabled or not (disabled=component), two different DVD
players, two DVR's, etc. is just too much of a pain for her to deal
with. Since I got the Harmony, she now uses the TV other than SD-only
through the analog-to-digital converter. It's been a huge win for us.
She can just press "watch MythTV" and it sets up everything.

But yes, they are pricey. A Harmony will cost five times as much as a
"traditional" universal remote.

--Greg