[mythtv-users] Looking for a New remote

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 23 18:06:20 UTC 2010

On Thursday, December 23, 2010 10:53:56 am Christopher X. Candreva
wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2010, Michael Drons wrote:
> > I am looking for a new remote for a new mythfrontend.  The remote
> > must have a very high wife acceptance.  I currently have a MCE and
> > gyration remote, and they work, but they each have there issues.
> >

> > I have never had good luck with remotes.  I am hoping someone can
> > give me a good recommendation.
>
> Two years ago, I bought what I thought was the perfect remote from
> Radio Shack, their HD remote. It had buttons for HD TVs and PVRs.
> It's J1.3 programable. And it was about $20
>
> About a year later the kids dropped it one too many times. When I
> went to buy another one, it was discontinued. Luckily it shows up on
> Ebay often.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Radio-Shack-Universal-Satellite-Remote-7-Componen
> ts-/320632664598
>
> (In fact I just ordered a spare when looking for the above link ! :-)
>
> I highly recomend this remote, and would love to know if a similar
> remote is made by anyone else.

I'm sure you will get glowing testimonials from Harmony users, but I've
always considered them too pricey.

I have what RS called a "Gamer Remote", in spite of the name it's
useful, it will control the media functions of most consoles without
your having to look like a gamer when watching TV. It also has learning
capability, which I used to get my Hi-Sense TV working, as most of the
pre-programmed units do not speak Hi-Sense.

Of course my favorite RS remote is also discontinued.