[mythtv-users] Interesting Reading: Windows Secrets reviews AppleTV and GoogleTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 23 16:16:34 UTC 2010

On Thursday, December 23, 2010 09:02:14 am jedi wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 08:39:18AM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Thursday, December 23, 2010 08:19:13 am jedi wrote:
> > >     Very little that is of relevance to the normal user is open
> > >
> > > source.
> >
> > Oh come on, the "normal user" wants to do email, visit web sites
> > and perhaps do a little word processing.
> >
> > ALL of that can be done easily using nothing but open source.
>
>     I wasn't aware they made iWork open source. Where can I download
> the code? Now if you are talking about using the same apps I could
> use in Linux then what's the point really?

I don't think "normal" users all use iWork (whatever that might be), I'd
guess it's some sort of proprietary something used by a minority of
computer users.

>     Yup. Apple has the same exact problems. That's why the Mini under
> my desk triple boots: to deal with the DRM that both Apple and Linux
> are locked out of.

MS is a classic monopoly, and uses that position to lock out the
competition, so everyone but MS suffers.

> > OS because it doesn't fit many business models.
>
>     I don't buy into the idea that Apple employs DRM only by force.
> It also benefits them if you are stuck using their devices for any
> content that you buy from them.

Apple may use it in part because the content owners have been convinced
that they will go broke without it, an idea fostered by the content
owners and MS, despite a lack of evidence that it does anything to stop
commercial level piracy.

But all vendors love vendor lock in, to some degree.

But this is way OT, and heading for a classical anti-DRM thread.