[mythtv-users] mythbuntu-diskless - how to set client hostname?

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 20:22:41 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

>> > would be good for this to be added to the wiki
>>
>> Didn't know there was a mythtv wiki - the only page I ever referenced
>> when using ltsp a while ago was:
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV/Install/Hardy/Diskless
>>
>> Although, I googled until my fingers hurt and never found where to set
>> the hostname config in ltsp v5, so a lot of grepping and trial and
>> error until I got it..  Teh default MAC address they use hurts the
>> eyes and makes config mgmt difficult.
>>

> I could be wrong but I would swear that my hostname was set via DHCP (from
> DD-WRT)

It is, but the Ubuntu ltsp defaults override this for the clients.
When they boot, the router properly sets them, but after the OS takes
over, it renames it to the mac address..  For the majority of the ltsp
users (education), it is appropriate, so I understand the defaults,
but for us mythtv users, it is kind of a nuisance.  Also not easily
documented anywhere.