[mythtv-users] When Installing a second Pinnacle tuner card, it's default configuration is analog, not the QAM Samsung my first card has.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Dec 21 20:32:14 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, December 21, 2010 01:18:44 pm Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Douglas Peale
>
> <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Some of us do not have windows.
>
> Uh, Windows has like a 95% market share.  So you think it's ok to
> waste a bunch of other peoples' time debugging your issue, rather
> than you just finding a Windows PC to try it in?  I call "bullshit".

Lighten up people, MythTV is an Open Source project, and many of use use
it mainly because of that. Windows may have a 95%  market share of the
general public, but I'm sure it's far less than that here.

> Try it in your office.  Go to a friend's house.  Use your mother's
> PC. Whatever.

Most people would be somewhat leery if you showed up on their doorstep
with a screwdriver in hand wanting to take apart their Windows machine.

I agree that perhaps the OP should have mentioned he did not have access
to a Windows machine when the subject was first brought up, but he was
concerned with finding out what he had, not telling people what he did
not have.

> Oh, when reporting that hardware doesn't work, how
> about pointing out up front that you bought *used* hardware?

This is a valid point, it makes the defective hardware possibility more
likely, but it doesn't really change the basic troubleshooting approach.

> I'm not trying to troll here, but people get a clue.  Do some basic
> sanity testing before wasting everybody else's time.

We're all stressed at this time of year, let's just tone things down and
try to solve this fellow's problem, nobody is being forced to respond to
posts here.

BTW - A slightly early Happy Holiday Season to everyone here, and hope
that all the hard work the devs have put in on Myth will lead to us all
being able to enjoy it a little more.