[mythtv-users] Need Help: HD-PVR IRBlaster

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Dec 21 19:53:30 UTC 2010

On Dec 21, 2010, at 1:36 PM, Martin Lynch wrote:

>> Yeah, that's probably why its saying hardware doesn't support sending,
>> there's not actually any hardware backing /dev/lirc.
> So should it point to lirc0 (inode) or lircd (link to /var/run/lirc/lircd) or directly to /var/run/lirc/lircd?
>> Nah, you just need to use the correct config file and daemon starting
>> methods. You either have to start it by hand with all args provided,
>> or you use your distro's initscript, which sucks in the various device
>> options from its config file. Looks like you're running Ubuntu, so
>> you edit /etc/lirc/hardware.conf and then run /etc/init.d/lirc stop and
>> start (or restart) to pull in new values from hardware.conf. (That file
>> is NOT part of upstream lirc, lircd knows nothing about it, it only
>> knows about your lircd.conf if its at /etc/lircd.conf or at
>> /etc/lirc/lircd.conf).
> If I stop lircd with $sudo /etc/init.d/lirc stop and then remove lirc_zilog with $sudo modprobe -r lirc_zilog and then load lirc_zilog with $sudo modprobe lirc_zilog, then two instances of lircd start as soon as I load lirc_zilog:

Ah. Right. I think Ubuntu has some sort of udev-triggered crud.

> /usr/sbin/lircd --output=/var/run/lirc/lircd1 --device=/dev/lircd --connect=localhost 8765 --pidfile=/var/run/lirc/lircd1.pid

I hope that's a transcription error. --device=/dev/lircd is bogus. That
is a symlink to a socket, not a device. Should be /dev/lirc1 or similar.

> and
> /usr/sbin/lircd --output=/var/run/lirc/lircd --driver=dsp --device=/dev/lircd --listen

Where did --driver=dsp come from, and again with the bogus --device?

Your primary lircd instance isn't using the right driver (default)
or the right device (/dev/lirc0) for your hdpvr. Seems its somehow
getting snarfed out of your hardware.conf, based on your original
post in this thread. That definitely needs fixing.

Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com