[mythtv-users] When Installing a second Pinnacle tuner card, it's default configuration is analog, not the QAM Samsung my first card has.

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Tue Dec 21 16:04:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> Check the electrolytic capacitors on the card, look for bulging or
> leakage of any sort.
>
> This is the most common type of problem I have found, and in most cases,
> replacing any suspicious-looking caps has restored the card (even mobos)
> to life.
>
> The second most common fault is mechanical problems, look for components
> knocked off, things bent to where they short to places they shouldn't,
> and any type of damage that happens when the card is dropped or
> otherwise mechanically abused.
>
> Then make sure the slot itself doesn't have any dirt of other foreign
> matter in it, and that the fingers on the card connector are clean.

For everybody else out there, it's worth noting we're back to the
advice I gave in the very first reply I sent to this issue:  Try the
damn card under Windows!  If the user had followed that advice from
the beginning, he could have saved everybody a whole lot of time
writing emails and going back and forth trying to figure out why the
card wasn't detecting properly under Linux.

Personally, I would have much rather spent the hour or so I wasted on
this thread working on driver support for new devices.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com