[mythtv-users] mythvideo delete problems

Mike altmcf at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 02:19:37 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Mike <altmcf at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Everything new I add is with user mythtv which has rwx permission,
>> checked that first ... I suspect this is a bug with the latest .24
>> mythtv but wanted to see if others have this working reliably
>> (different distro, etc)
>
> It's not.  Delete in mythvideo hasn't changed since it was written.
> All it does is call the Qt file delete functionality.  The only
> wrinkle added when using storage groups is that the BACKEND user needs
> rwx to the file, and don't forget permissions to traverse to those
> directories too.  In short, it's almost always a permissions problem,
> as Greg mentioned.  Also, you need to not be using file browse mode.
> File deletion works on files in the database only.
>
> Robert

For good measure I did the following ... I had them all set to 777
previously which should not have hurt anything

[root at myth3 /]# chmod -R 755 /storage
[root at myth3 /]# chown -R mythtv /storage
[root at myth3 /]# chgrp -R mythtv /storage

then deleted all videos in /storage/videos
then went into mythtv -> "Watch Videos", did M, turned off browse
mode, scanned for changes, now no videos found

I ran some tests where I copied the same file under user mythtv to
test1.avi, test2.avi, test3.avi and did a re-scan and only test1.avi
was found.  I am guessing that mythtv is smart enough to know these
are all really the same file?

I then deleted everything, scanned for changes, no videos found,
copied 4 unique videos in, re-scanned and was able to delete them
correctly.  Maybe something got messed up previously when I was going
back and forth between browse and not browsing.  In browsing it must
be keeping track of the file since it remembers video position even
though it was not scanned in.

Anyhow, I think previously it got into some weird mode that I suspect
deleting everything, and re-scan with nothing, then start over might
have fixed (with browse turned off from the get go).  Previously I was
deleting one thing and some other video was getting deleted instead
(at different heirarchy levels too), crashing, etc.

Thanks for the assist,

-Mike