[mythtv-users] eac3/truehd/dts-HD audio streaming now working

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 19:05:37 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Some news ...
>
> MythTV trunk now fully supports E-AC3, DTS-HD Hi-Res, TrueHD and
> DTS-HD MA passthrough ; there are some caveats however.
>
> In the official mythtv git repo , the code is currently disabled
> waiting for the complete ffmpeg sync to occur, hopefully not too long
> before this occurs/.
>
> As such, I have forked the mythtv git tree into a different repo:
> git://github.com/jyavenard/mythtv.git
>
> This git repo includes the required ffmpeg changes, (as well as some
> extra patches waiting to be committed into ffmpeg upstrean that will
> add DTS-HD bitstreaming)
>
> master is the branch following mythtv/master : but with newer audio
> code that will be merged once ffmpeg sync has been completed
> fixes/0.24: is the 0.24 branch, with all the new audio code backported
> so you don't have to upgrade your backend etc.. should you want to
> continue running 0.24
>
> In order to get HD bitstreaming working, there are a few things that
> needs to be done first: read this page:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:HDAudioPassthrough.
> You need either a very recent kernel (2.6.37) or ALSA from the git tree.
> And unfortunately, it won't work with all audio cards.
>
> You will also need to go into the Audio settings and check DD+ and/or
> TrueHD as required. Note that the audio settings now have their own
> entry, and aren't found in "General" any longer.
>
> You can find some samples on the ffmpeg site:
> DTS-HD:
> http://samples.ffmpeg.org/A-codecs/DTS/dts/
>
> E-AC3:
> http://samples.ffmpeg.org/A-codecs/AC3/eac3/
>
> TrueHD:
> http://samples.ffmpeg.org/A-codecs/TrueHD/
>
> You can also use my ubuntu repo:
> http://www.avenard.org/media/Ubuntu_Repository/Ubuntu_Repository.html
>
> Only 0.24 packages, with the audio trunk backport.
>
> You can also use the ffmpeg samples that only contains an audio track
> ; start mythfrontend or mythavtest with the option -O
> AudioOnlyPlayback=1 like so:
> mythavtest -v audio -O AudioOnlyPlayback=1 7_pt_1.eac3
>
> Having -O AudioOnlyPlayback=1 lets mythtv internal player plays
> audio-only file (include wav, mp3, ogg, flac and anything ffmpeg
> supports etc..)
>
> A massive thank you to Anssi Hannula for his work and cooperation. We
> exchanged over a hundred messages over the past few days to get this
> going. Without him, none of the above would exist.
>
> Jean-Yves

The audiophile in me wants to set up a JYA shrine, thanks again for
all your hard work. My wallet on the other hand is not happy about all
the money I am now spending on the HDTracks site since you've allowed
Myth to play back their high resolution FLAC files...

Questsion on your latest work, is it true that the ability to pass on
these higher definition audio standards requires specific HDMI
hardware and that the GT2xx series of NVidia chipsets won't support
them?

thanks!

--
Steve