[mythtv-users] Cable or dish

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Dec 20 00:09:57 UTC 2010

On Sunday, December 19, 2010 04:54:20 pm Brad Templeton wrote:

> This is particularly true because perhaps unlike you, there are
> really only a few channels in each cable or satellite tier that I
> care about. So in reality I am paying $10/month/channel that I care
> about.  You gotta believe that eventually I will be able to pick up
> the few I care about seeing now (rather than delayed on netflix) for
> sums like that.

I've always noticed that the tiers seem to be designed to have only a
channel or two for each specific audience.

For example, Having ESPN, MTV and the History channel on one tier seems
designed to catch at least one of each type of viewer.

Having History Channel and History International on different tiers seems
designed to make sure history buffs pay twice.

There's probably a reason cable operators have fought "a la carte"
selection by customers, and programming suppliers want to dictate what
tier they are on.

Of course they are just trying to maximize profits, something not
terribly surprising.