[mythtv-users] Distorted sound from 6ch AC3 in HD3000 recordings

E. Westbrook mythtv-users at westbrook.com
Fri Dec 17 18:07:09 UTC 2010

Some time recently, I began noticing continuous audio distortion in playback
of all of my HD ATSC recordings (pcHDTV HD3000) when viewed on my core2duo
frontend-only machine with snd-hda-intel 2ch line out via alsa.  Can't put
my finger on just when, as I didn't notice right away.

At first listen, the distortion sounds to me maybe a bit like clipping, but
then listening closer, it sounds more like a soft crackly rapid-fire popping
sound.  I guess it could even be tiny gaps in the audio, from just the sound
of it.  In any case, it makes the recordings somewhat painful to watch, as
I'm sure you can imagine.

The recording files sound fine in mplayer, as well as in mythfrontend on
different hardware.  Additionally, my SD recordings (PVR350) and downloaded
videos of other audio formats all sound perfectly fine in myth.

Here's a log from "mythfrontend -v audio,playback":
http://westbrook.com/mythfrontendlog20101217a.log

Here's mediainfo's report for the recording file:
http://westbrook.com/mediainfo20101217a.txt

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,
EW