[mythtv-users] Now on Cablevision, without even moving

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 13:56:26 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> As of this morning my cable TV provider / ISP is now CableVision, who
> bought out the Bresnan system in my area.
>
> Cablevision says it "Looks forward to providing even more features and
> value, and even more meaningful enhancements " to me.
>
> Is there anything I should look out for? Any CV customers out there have
> any advice about particular traps CV might have in store. In particular
> I'm concerned about bandwidth caps, which up to now have not existed for
> me. I asked at their office and was told they "have no information about
> that at this time".
>
> My contract with the former operator (Bresnan) appears to have enough
> loopholes to fly the planet Jupiter through. Real life experiences with
> CV would be appreciated.

I've had CV (Optimum Online) for over six years (just for Internet...I
have no pay TV), and overall they've been good, though I have to say
that in my area they started actually caring about customers about the
time FIOS came into the area.  Before that I was sure I'd jump ship
when FIOS came around, but CV has served me well enough to prevent
that I have to say.  I also HATE Verizons billing practices where they
say $70 and ends up being $100 after extra fees etc...I can't believe
the feds let them get away with it.  There's none of that with CV.

If they're going to be giving you new hardware do everything you can
to get a DOCSIS 3 modem.  In my area it got to where my evening speeds
were terrible until I got one.

The only caps I'm aware of with them is that, in some cases where they
feel your upstream bandwidth is being abused (that is, they think
you're running a server) they've been known to cap the upstream to
150kbps...a cap which can be removed by calling customer service.
Nobody knows what the criteria is for that however.  I think it
requires that you spend a lot of time saturating your upstream
bandwidth.  At one time years ago it appeared they were throttling
bittorrent ports, but as far as I understand they no longer do any
such thing.

As far as speeds, I have OOL Boost and get very consistent speeds of
near 30mbps down and 5mbps up, at least since I went to DOCSIS 3.  No
complaints there for sure.

I'd suggest the OOL forum on dslreports.com but frankly I only use it
when I have an actual problem.  There are a few too many OOL
worshipping trolls there that simply *must* be on the CV payroll...I
just find the place really hard to take.

Tom