[mythtv-users] Fedora 12 to Fedora 14: lirc / mce remote issue

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Fri Dec 17 05:20:55 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2010, at 7:09 PM, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 5:34 PM, Grant McChesney <grantmc at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Michael Rice <mikerice1969 at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > > And that is what you are looking for, unless I Missed something.
> >
> > Nope.  When I press Up I don't want it to register Down/Up.  Just Up.  :)
> >
> > It is still doing something strange.  One key press usually (or always?)
> > generates two presses one of which is held until the next key is pressed
> > at which time they both come out.
> >
> > In the output above I had hit a bunch of down keys.  Waited a few seconds
> > then ran irw and hit a single Up.  At that point the buffered Down is
> emitted
> > along with an Up.
> >
> > Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this behavior.  I've been hacking
> away at my lircd.conf trying to fix it.  I've resorted to my wireless
> keyboard until this gets sorted.
> >
> > Jarod, I look forward to the fix.  Thanks!
> >

> > Jarrod,
> >
> > I've just tried kernel-2.6.35.10-68 and it's better in terms of response
> time, and ironically it's worse because of this.  HUH?
> >
> > I think I'm getting double inputs from my remote because both lirc and
> evdev at using it as an input device.  When I press some keys on my remote,
> they seem to be doing things twice.  For example, press the up or down I
> sometimes skip an item in the menu.  However, I think this is related to
> evdev and lirc running at the same time.
> >
> > if I run `xev` and `irw` in two seperate terminal windows and then press
> the up and down keys on the remove I get in 'xev':
> >
> > KeyPress event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x4800001,
> >     root 0xbf, subw 0x0, time 654082, (630,511), root:(634,560),
> >     state 0x10, keycode 111 (keysym 0xff52, Up), same_screen YES,
> >     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
> >     XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
> >     XFilterEvent returns: False
> >
> > KeyRelease event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x4800001,
> >     root 0xbf, subw 0x0, time 654331, (630,511), root:(634,560),
> >     state 0x10, keycode 111 (keysym 0xff52, Up), same_screen YES,
> >     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
> >     XFilterEvent returns: False
> >
> > KeyPress event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x4800001,
> >     root 0xbf, subw 0x0, time 655246, (630,511), root:(634,560),
> >     state 0x10, keycode 116 (keysym 0xff54, Down), same_screen YES,
> >     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
> >     XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
> >     XFilterEvent returns: False
> >
> > KeyRelease event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x4800001,
> >     root 0xbf, subw 0x0, time 655614, (630,511), root:(634,560),
> >     state 0x10, keycode 116 (keysym 0xff54, Down), same_screen YES,
> >     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
> >     XFilterEvent returns: False
> >
> > and in 'irw' i get:
> >
> > 000000037ff07be1 00 Up mceusb
> > 000000037ff07be0 00 Down mceusb
> > 000000037ff07be0 01 Down mceusb

> [...]

Thanks Jarod for your quick response.

I got this from another thread:

echo none > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
echo +lirc > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols

which I think is similar and it's worked a treat.

I've stuck this into /etc/rc.local for the moment (is this the right place)
and will remove when you get around to that new version of lirc RSN.

With the combination of this above and the new kernel from koji my remote
now works stupendously.  Thank you very much for all your hard work.

Rodd