[mythtv-users] HD PVR and IR transmitter for channel change (why)

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Dec 17 03:11:46 UTC 2010

On Dec 16, 2010, at 6:40 PM, Ramin K wrote:

> On 12/16/2010 3:21 PM, David McMillan wrote:
>>>
>>> The HD-PVR that returns 4903 says Rev F1 on the bottom rather than Rev E3
>>> which is what the last 4902 machines had on their sticker. As far as I can
>>> tell there is no difference in functionality and I'm using them
>>> interchangeably with IR under Fedora 14.
>>>

>> Ramin,
>> Did you install anything custom in Fedora 14 related to the hdpvr or
>> lirc related kernel modules?
>
> Nope, bone stock.

Yup, all the bits should be in the Fedora kernels, and have been for
quite some time now.

> I do have a recent kernel revision though and sudo modprobe lirc_zilog as well since I haven't figured out where to put that so it loads on boot.

Create a shell script as /etc/sysconfig/modules/lirc.modules and just
add a line /sbin/modprobe lirc_zilog, and that should be about it. The
Fedora initscripts run anything *.modules in that directory at boot
time.

> I was actually surprised how well it worked out of the box so to speak. I struggled heavily with Ubuntu 10.04/10.10 originally. Rebuilding the kernel modules to recognize 4903 wasn't hard, but decided installing 2.6.37-rc via PPA woudld be easier to maintain as modules were updated in mainline Linux kernel sources. IR was a total mess under Ubuntu. After 20-30 hours of futzing with source code I decided I could live with an unfamiliar distro as long as it worked. :-)

kernel-2.6.35.10-68.fc14 now has all the very latest hdpvr code from
the upstream v4l/dvb tree in it, and so in theory, everything will
Just Work(tm), though I have yet to see if there are any issues to
overcome with the deprecation of an id field in the i2c device struct
that was being used to determine if the device lirc_zilog was talking
to is an hdpvr or something else...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com