[mythtv-users] PVR-150 video quality problem [SOLVED]

John Clonts john_mythtv at clonts.org
Thu Dec 16 23:46:11 UTC 2010

> Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 07:11:11 -0500
> From: "Mark A. Hoover" <mahoover at ispaceonline.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] PVR-150 video quality problem
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>
> > ------------------------------

> >> As odd as this will sound, try shuffling them around in your system.
> >> I had a pair of 150s and thought one was bad as it did the same as
> >> yours.  But simply moving it to a different PCI slot resolved the
> >> issue.
> >>
> > PVR-150's also consume a fair amount of power from your PCI bus.
> > It's possible
> > you may be overloading the bus and/or the power supply, and that only one
> of
> > your cards has components that will work under those conditions.
> >
> > Try each card *separately* in your motherboard. If these all work, or two
> of
> > them work, the next thing to do is swap out the power supply for a
> > much beefier
> > one. It doesn't have to be a permanent swap - just long enough to
> > prove a point.
> >
> > Having done that you will have a better idea which pieces of hardware are
> > compatible with what, and proceed from there.
>
> I'm seeing this same problem on a PVR-500 card.  Sometimes I can fix
> the problem by switching inputs, sometimes I can't.  I've also found
> that regular images seem to work better, but if there's any kind of
> video overlay (ie. a news ticker, a persons name, etc).
>
> I had just figured that the card had gone bad and was actually
> thinking of getting a replacement of some sort, but after seeing this,
> I'm wondering if maybe it is something else.

Last night I found this thread:
   http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-525782.html<http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-525782.html>

Bottom line is I disabled VBI Closed Captioning and all cards are recording
perfectly.  In retrospect I think my problem was worse on certain content as
well (e.g. talking heads or tickers).

Actually one of my cards that has the problem is a PVR-500 as well, its
tuner type is:
   tveeprom 3-0050: tuner model is Philips FQ1236A MK4 (idx 92, type 57)

The cards that seem to do fine even with the closed captions have:
    tveeprom 2-0050: tuner model is TCL M2523_5N_E (idx 112, type 50)

Cheers,
John